School of Music Employability Mentoring Scheme
What is the mentoring scheme?
The School of Music employability mentoring scheme links up professionals from music and related industries, who are alumni of the School of Music, to act as mentors to students in the School. We have developed the mentoring scheme to provide students with the opportunity to enhance their employability, expand their professional networks and increase their confidence.
As a mentor you could support a mentee in many ways, for example, discussing career plans, sharing your knowledge of the workplace, and guidance on the interview and selection process.
What commitment do you need from me?
- We ask you to offer at least one hour a month of your time, for at least an academic year
- You can mentor in person and/or online
- Listen to the needs of your mentee and help guide them
- Complete some online training
What do I gain from taking part in the scheme?
- Engage in the local community and invest in its success
- Target potential employees of the future
- Improve your communication skills and leadership qualities
- Develop your relationship with the School of Music
What are the benefits for the school?
- The programme is particularly aimed at students who are less likely to have a network of contacts – you will help them to build their own professional network and assist in their career development
- Our students become more confident
- The students will gain a better understanding of how companies work
- It develops employer relationships with the School of Music
Would I make a good mentor?
- Are you a professional with at least two years of work experience?
- Are you enthusiastic and committed to the idea of mentoring?
- Can you listen and offer constructive guidance and support?
- Can you identify the mentee’s strengths and weaknesses and develop their potential?
- Can you make time to be in contact with the mentee?
- Are you keen to see people develop and succeed?
If you would like to become a School of Music Employability Mentor then please click the link below to sign up!